June 15, 2010

Port Stephens to Forster to Crowdy Heads to Port Macquarie

I encountered a whale, and crossed the famously scary Port Macquarie bar!

I know it's been a while, which is largely because I've been having small irritating difficulties with batteries and my engine. After Tony left for work and Sydney, and the awful weather passed, I eventually sailed from Nelson's Bay to Forster-Tuncurry. I wouldn't recommend a night entrance into Cape Hawke Harbour, the bar is easy enough but the tidal current there is quite frightening. I came awfully close to a major mishap, the day after arrival, crossing the harbour from one berth to another.

I was all ready to leave Forster-Tuncurry when the same engine problem struck again - it seems like the mechanic I used before leaving Pittwater didn't do a very thorough job. The chap I called in Tuncurry was much better, and hopefully the leaking fuel bleeding system is fixed for good, now. Still, it cost me another fine sailing day.

From Forster-Tuncurry to Crowdy Heads I went solo, for the first time, which was good to try. A Right Whale broached a couple of times nearby about halfway, a wonderful sight.

My sister, Soph, came up for her all-too-brief chef's weekend and joined me for the overnight trip to Port Macquarie. We were favoured by dolphins and rainbows as we set off, but it quickly turned unpleasantly rough and squally - poor Soph was under the weather most of the way, but admirably didn't let it stop her working.

I'd heard many dreadful tales of Port Macquarie's barred entrance, and I can't say they exaggerated much - it was a hair-raising entrance, despite timing and planning it carefully. Still, we made it alright - now all I have to do is get out again.

Eugene C. joins me for the next few weeks, which'll be great - plenty of time to get organised and get a routine together and really cover some miles. We head off to Coffs Harbour tomorrow, with a probable overnight stop at Trial Bay along the way.

No comments: