July 7, 2010

Bundy

After all the motorsailing I did on the way here, I'd been feeling (that Contessa II was probably) overdue for an engine service, so I decided I'd have to sort that out before leaving Bundaberg. The local marine diesel guy (Gary of Marine Torque, very reasonable) wasn't available until this (Wednesday) morning, so I've ended up staying in Bundaberg a week.

Em and I have been making ourselves familiar faces at the Blue Water Sports Club and the Lighthouse Hotel, both of Burnett Heads (which is where we actually are, more accurately), and exploring Bundy. And, yes, sampling the rum. Waiting for the mechanic gave us time to do a few odd jobs, revictual and pick up some equipment. We meant to go for a swim, too, but the lady in Target looked at me like I was mad when I tried to buy swimmers, it being the middle of winter, and the pool was closed... iced up, presumably.

It's cane processing time here (as it is about half the year, I think), so the big trucks and ferries of cane are running to and from the refineries, the fields are being burnt off and there's generally a sort of molassesy atmosphere about the place.

We'll be trying to day-sail as much as we can from here on in - our next stop should be an overnight anchorage at Pancake Creek, or Gladsone if the weather turns unfriendly (as it looks as though it might), then on to somewhere in Keppel Bay.

2 comments:

anna said...

So let me get this straight ...

Out on the patio, you(se) sit,
And the humidity, you(se) breathe.
Watch the lightning crack over canefields,
Laugh and think, this is Australia(?)

Mat said...

Pretty much... actually I've had that song stuck in my head most of the week. And speaking of lightning, we're stuck with weather, so still in Bundy - it's not all bad, last night was all you can eat chicken and prawns for $5 at the Blue Water Sports Club, in honour of the State of Origin.